Passwords Note: Factory Default Passwords have changed for the Q330M+. For details see Version History,
Tech Support Guidelines:
Over the history of the Q330 project, our software updates add new features and correct
any known problems. Therefore, one of the best things you can do to keep your
Q330 running optimally, and to take advantage of new features, is to keep its firmware and
support software up to date. This includes the firmware for any devices connected to the
Q330, such as the Baler. When you discover a problem, we strongly recommed updating to the
latest software versions first, before reporting it, as the problem may already be
corrected. If the problem persists after the update, then contact tech support. Subscribe
to our mailing list to be informed of software updates.
- Physical repairs are unavailable for the Q330S as of 7/20/2020.
Please provide clear and complete information on a problem when requesting technical support.
Missing information that is necessary for our analysis will require us to contact you to
obtain the information, delaying problem resolution. Not all of the information in the description
section below is necessary for each analysis - some of
it, maybe most of it, will probably not apply to your case. Use your judgement, but do not
worry about sending us too much information.
- Q330 model and serial numbers (metal tag on front of digitizer; tells us number of channels,
optional hardware installed, etc.)
- Q330 system software version (in Willard, open the 'Information | Hardware & Software'
screen and provide the information in the 'System Software Version' field). Or send us
a screen shot.
- Support software used, with version numbers
- Baler type (44, 14F, 14D), if applicable
- a complete description of the problem, especially anything unusual or odd:
- what exactly happened?
- what are the steps that made
- what do you think is failing, and why?
- can you repeat it?
- what are the steps to repeat it?
- was anything changed
before the problem occurred?
- was anything changed before the last reboot?
- which cables were you using?
- were your cables purchased from Quanterra or Kinemetrics, or did they come
- how were they connected? A topology diagram can be useful.
- what other equipment was involved (routers, hubs, modems, radios, etc.) and how
was it connected
- what type of power supply were you using (power supply running on AC mains, the
factory's lab power supply, a battery with charger, etc.)?
- what did the front panel LEDs do when the problem occurred?
- what have the LEDs done since then, and what are they doing now?
- supply any supporting information, such as files or screen shots; XML parameter files
can be very useful
- (optional - may not be possible due to policy or network security at your facility)
- supply login information for your Q330 so that we can diagnose the problem remotely -
in that case we would need:
- Q330 Tag ID - the 3 to 5 digit serial number (metal tag on front of Q330)
- Q330 Electronic Serial Number - 16 digit hexadecimal
- the Q330's externally routable Ethernet IP address
- Base IP Port
- Password, if changed from the default password
If network address translation (NAT) is not used, items 2-4 can be found in the Q330 portion of Willard's Configuration Manager. If NAT is used, we would need the externally routable IP address and base port
that corresponds to the data in the manager.
- supply login information for a TeamViewer session so KMI staff can use your PC to diagnose the problem, while you watch, if desired
As an example, say someone contacted us and stated that their Q330 was not offloading data
to its Baler, and that was all they said. This problem could be caused
by either device, the cables, or the power source. We would ask:
- what type of Baler? 14D, 14F, or 44
- how was the Q330 connected to the Baler, via serial or Ethernet?
- are they directly connected, or are there radio links, a LAN, or a WAN
between the two devices?
- how does each device receive its power (Baler powered through Q330's Q-Net port, or
- does the Baler turn on when the Q330 tries to offload data?
- if so, does it boot, run, and connect? which of these steps does it fail on?
- do the LEDs do anything unusual before, during, or after the connection attempt?
- send us the Q330's XML file, as certain settings can effect correct operation
Sometimes it can be helpful to save your existing parameters using configuration cloning,
load the factory default parameters for your type of Q330 (3-channel, 6-channel, HR), save
to EEPROM, and reboot, to see if that restores normal operation.
It is usually best to send your support requests to email@example.com so your request
can be properly addressed and tracked in a timely fashion. They are routed from there to
the best qualified person available to analyze the problem. Sending an email directly to
a contact at Quanterra or Kinemetrics may result in significant delays if that person is
in the field or otherwise unavailable - your email may languish in their inbox until their
Contact Tech Support